“And one of them when he saw that he was healed turned back and with a loud voice glorified God and fell down on his face at His (Jesus) feet, giving Him thanks.” –Luke 17:15-16 -KJV2000
I have entitled this reflection “TURNING BACK” which I have taken from Luke 17:11-19. It is particularly about the ten lepers whom the Lord has healed of their leprosy. Have you ever seen a leper? Actually, there are several types of leprosy. Some only has white spots on their skin; some has what look like tiger stripes. The one in the picture seems to be the worst type. I am showing this picture so that somehow we can get a little impression about what those ten lepers were suffering from. The literal message of this account is very simple. It is about the power of God to heal all manners of sickness and disease, and a man’s expression of deep gratitude. However, I would like to focus on the allegorical significance of the account. I have chopped it into five short points:
1. THE LEPERS’ PRAYER -As He entered into a certain village, there met Him ten men who were lepers who stood afar off; and they lifted up their voices and said, “Jesus, Teacher, have mercy on us!”- Luke 17:12-13
2. THE LORD’S ANSWER -And when He saw them, He said unto them, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And it came to pass that, as they went, they were cleansed. –Luke 17:14
3. THE GRATITUDE OF A SAMARITAN -And one of them, when he saw that he was healed turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks; and he was a Samaritan” –Luke 17:15-16.
4. WHERE ARE THE NINE? -And Jesus answering said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? There was not found one that returned to give glory to God, except this stranger” –Luke 17:17-18.
5. THE FAITH THAT HEALS -And He said unto him, “Arise, go your way; your faith had made you whole” – Luke 17:19.
Follow me in my observations…